Retail Site Census

National Retail Site Census

Gain valuable perspectives into the petroleum industry with Kent Group Ltd.’s 2019 National Retail Petroleum Site Census annual report. This unique study, a comprehensive enumeration of the petroleum retail outlet population in Canada, provides key insights into industry trends.

Click here to purchase the report:  Purchase

Purchase of the 2019 census includes a PDF version of the report as well as all appendices in Excel spreadsheet format.

Click the link here to read the executive summary:  Executive Summary

Key Findings

As of December 31, 2019, there were 11,937 retail gasoline stations operating in Canada, or 3.2 outlets for every 10,000 persons. Our census illustrates a continued diversity of brands of gasoline in Canada (we measured 93 different “brands” of gas), although the physical product largely originates from 14 refineries in Canada, operated by a total of six refining organizations. Similarly, we identified 67 companies involved in the marketing of gasoline, where they manage a network of two or more stations.

Generally, trends in the Canadian fuels marketplace over the last fifteen years show refiner-marketers are less involved in setting fuel prices, down from nearly a third of all sites in 2004 to just 21 percent of sites in 2019. Remaining gas stations (some 79 percent) in Canada are price-controlled by a diverse mix of petroleum marketers, whose importance and influence is growing, particularly between two sub-types: Regional distributors and “big box” marketers. The latter has an influence on the retail petroleum market – particularly in terms of price competitiveness – that is far out of proportion to their relatively small number of outlets.

Canadian fuel marketers increasingly operate some or all of their network using a brand owned by another company. In 2019 this represented 37% of all sites in Canada, up considerably from 2004.

Other Topics Include:

  • Trends in site operation;
  • retail gasoline outlet representation by province;
  • provincial throughput efficiency;
  • refiner-marketer and marketer-retailer relationships;
  • retail landscape;
  • retail relationships and control over assets; and
  • outlet features and offerings.

Appendices show a detailed breakout of sites:

  • by brand;
  • by marketer;
  • brand ownership;
  • traditional vs. non-traditional listings; and
  • pump price control listing

For further information, contact Suzanne Gray at 519-672-7000 ext 108.

For 50 years, Kent’s objective, timely and accurate data and its data-driven consulting expertise have placed it at the forefront as a provider of data, analytics and consulting relating to the downstream petroleum industry in Canada and abroad. Kent is recognized as an authority in marketing economics, performance measurement and benchmarking, price/margin reporting/analysis and regulation, and industry economic research and analysis. The company’s client base covers the spectrum of integrated and independent petroleum marketers, government and regulatory agencies, industry associations, and large-volume petroleum buyers.

On February 1, 2019, Kent joined Kalibrate Technologies Ltd.  The alliance of Kent and Kalibrate has created a highly integrated provider of services for the retail petroleum and convenience channels. It brings together comprehensive data, analytics, location and network planning and pricing strategies, and consulting and advisory services.